Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Cocoa: So tasty, so versatile!

Ah, chocolate...  A subject near and dear to my heart...  :)  More specifically today, I'm talking about COCOA. 

Tasty, and one of the most common all-natural colors in kitchens today!  I rarely, if ever, use brown food coloring, even for cake orders!  And yes, that IS chocolate frosting on the lid.  I was just baking...  :)

Monochromatic cakes and cookies can be simple and smooth like this cookie:

They can have just a little layering for effect:


Or even go all out with a design!


One color, one great looking tasty confection.  :)

Using chocolate frosting on a white cake can have a stunning effect as well, with just a few little dots!


For my cookies above, I make my sugar cookie cutouts, and then I stir up this frosting that dries shiny and smooth! 

Supplies:
GLACE' ICING

1 lb Powdered sugar
6 tbs honey, agave syrup or corn syrup
6 tbs milk
For flavor add:
1/4 c cocoa and 1 tsp vanilla  OR  1 tsp vanilla  OR  1 tsp almond extract

Mix all ingredients together.  It should run off the spoon, but should not immediately dissolve back into the bowl of frosting.  If it is too runny, it will fall off your cookie.  If this happens, add more powdered sugar or cocoa.  If it is too thick, it will not leave a shiny finish.  If this happens, add a tiny bit more milk. 

You can spread this icing on with a knife or spoon for an easy finish.  You can also pipe it with regular frosting bags and tips, or by simply cutting the corner off a zip top bag.

If you leave out the cocoa, you can make a relatively white icing to add your all natural colors to.  Here I've made some beet pink icing to layer on my cocoa frosting:
CUTE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment