Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Buying Candy

Being the first day of November, that means only ONE thing: CLEARANCE HALLOWEEN CANDY.  ;)

I may or may not take part in the dash to get to the good stuff first, but we would all do well to follow my Grandpa's advice: "Stock up before the hoarders get there!"   Gotta love that old-fashioned wisdom...  Heh.  :)

Most candies out there have so many food colorings it's almost INSANE:

I try to find things that at least have a minimal amount of color and preferably no artificial flavors.  As we've seen, even CHOCOLATE isn't immune to the flavoring phenomenon, but there are a few exceptions.  My favorite would be the Reese's peanut butter cup!  But only the large one, as the bite-size ones have artificial flavoring in them.  Same company, essentially the same product, DIFFERENT INGREDIENTS.  GAH!  So remember:

In non-chocolate candy, there's also the ubiquitous Necco Wafer:

Look at the soft coloring!  Kinda like Smarties coloring, but all-natural.  Excellent choice.


Now to my FAVORITE treat to get the kiddos, YUMMY EARTH LOLLIPOPS!

Look at the colors!  And the swirls!  And the all-natural organic-ness!  Well, I guess you can't really tell that last one by looking at it, which is kinda the point.  :)  I got a good deal last year on the hexagon container:
Yum.  These are so good.

I need a Reese's cup.  Now.

1 comment:

  1. This post made me insanely hungry and now I kind feel like raiding the kids' candy stash... ;) It really is interesting how practically the same things can have different ingredients. When I was going through diet changes to accommodate food allergies about 8 years ago, that would make me so frustrated. They add so many things unnecessarily and it's just annoying as all get out - like all the extra preservatives in FROZEN dinners?!

    ReplyDelete