Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Back story...

I decided to start this blog to keep track of some of my all-natural food creations.  I hope to maybe inspire a few people just starting on this road!  A little background for me:

When my oldest daughter, Arizona, was 4, she was extremely hyper and had very little impulse control.  Even beyond normal 4 year-old behavior...  :)  I realized she had a sensitivity to red food coloring after a well-meaning friend gave her a cup of red kool-aid and Arizona threw up within minutes.  It only took a couple repeats of this kind of incident to realize the problem.  (Cleaning red puke out of the carpet is a MEMORABLE experience.  Yuck.)  I cut out all red food coloring, and saw a difference right away. 

After a year or so, I started doing more research on food coloring sensitivities.  I got to thinking, "These colorings are ARTIFICIAL, they're not even really FOOD..."  I also heard that SOME behavior problems can be exacerbated by these artificial additives.  So I decided to cut out ALL artificial colors and flavors from her diet.  The difference was IMMENSE.  Her ability to focus increased, her propensity to interrupt conversations decreased, and her sense of personal space improved to where she wasn't standing within inches of whoever she was talking to.  All of this happened within a WEEK of cutting food coloring, so I took that as a good sign! 

Some people feel sorry for her because she's "missing out" on lots of yummy things, brightly colored treats and candies.  I decided to start this blog to show that there are plenty of yummy, colorful treats that everyone can enjoy!  We don't have these EVERY day, but for an occasional treat it's worth the time and work! 

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea! I look forward to seeing some of your ideas because I am liking the idea of going more natural in things where I can without too much inconvenience.

    ReplyDelete