Wednesday, October 26, 2011

My girls like pink...

I have four daughters.  They all like pink, which is totally foreign to this tomboy.  So my first foray into all-natural food coloring naturally involved a color which I have avoided at all costs in the past.  :)

Some homemade vanilla cupcakes with vanilla frosting were on the schedule for the day, but they just seemed so...white.  They needed something.  Like SPRINKLES...  Yes, that's it.  Now to make some...

I gathered my supplies: some large crystal sugar (most stores carry this), a canned beet, a small plate and a sandwich bag.

Cooked beets are rather squishy and juicy.  I have either squished a few drops of beet juice into the bag, or just dropped in a small slice with some sugar.  Then shake the bag.

Soon you'll see a lovely pink color start to appear!  Add more beet juice if you like, but be careful not to add too much liquid, or the sugar will melt!  If you have just added a slice of beet, continue shaking until the desired hue is reached.  Pour sugar out on your plate and remove beet.

Your sugar sprinkles are likely quite soggy, but that's okay.  They need to dry for a while, but make sure to stir them periodically so you don't end up with a giant block of sugar.  Ask me how I know.  *sigh*

I usually turn the sandwich back inside out and let it dry on the plate as well.  When everything is dry, the sprinkles just go back in the same bag!  It's economical...  :)

So we made our cupcakes, swirled some frosting on top, and VOILA!  A yummy, sprinkly, cupcake with "no artificials", as my daughters would say!  


Arizona made this one.  She was QUITE proud.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment